Valley Sports Report
THE VALLEY — One of the busiest weeks you’ll ever see features home football games on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday this week, as well as the first meeting of the Tioga and Candor volleyball teams on Wednesday, and the Waverly girls swim invitational and Tioga volley tourney on Saturday.
Due a shortage of officials, Athens football will host Wyalusing Thursday, while Waverly and Tioga are both at home Friday, and Sayre hosts Montgomery Saturday to cap off Homecoming Weekend.
Wednesday night, Candor hosts Tioga in a rematch of three tremendous matches last year. The two will also likely square off at the Tioga Tournament Saturday.
In all, there are 47 events on the docket this week, including 11 on Tuesday and 10 on Saturday.
The following are some, not all, of the top events of the upcoming week:
• Waverly hosts O-M in its first home volleyball match of the season.
• The Sayre boys host Towanda on the soccer pitch.
• The Athens boys soccer team is on the road at Maine-Endwell.
• The Tioga girls soccer team hosts O-M, and the Lady Tiger field hockey team hosts nationally-ranked Maine-Endwell.
• Athens and Sayre are in action at the fourth NTL golf match of the season.
• Sayre hosts Towanda and Wellsboro in its first cross country meet of the season.
• Sayre hosts divisional rival NEB on the volleyball hardwoods.
• Athens volleyball, fresh off its championship at the Williamson Tournament, hosts Wyalusing in its first home match.
• Sayre travels to Athens for their first of two girls soccer match-ups of 2019.
• The Waverly girls open their swim season at O-M.
• Tioga field hockey hosts Owego.
• Tioga volleyball travels to Candor in a key early-season IAC South Small School match-up.
• Waverly hosts Newark Valley in IAC South Large School boys soccer action.
• The Athens boys host NEB on the soccer pitch at Alumni Stadium.
• The Tioga girls host SVEC on the soccer pitch.
• Athens hosts Wyalusing in a rare Thursday night NTL football game.
• The Waverly girls host Notre Dame in their first home swim meet of the season.
• Sayre girls soccer takes on Lansing in the opening round of the Watkins Glen Tournament. The consolation / championship game will be on Saturday.
• Sayre volleyball hosts divisional rival Canton.
• Tioga hosts arch-rival Newark Valley at Haggerty Field in a non-league football match-up.
• Waverly hosts Johnson City on the gridiron in its first divisional game of he season.
• Athens volleyball hosts Cowanesque Valley.
• The diving portion of the Waverly Swimming & Diving Invitational begins at 4:30 p.m.
• Sayre football hosts divisional rival Montgomery in its annual Homecoming game.
• Tioga hosts its annual volleyball tournament, which also includes Waverly.
• Athens, Sayre, Waverly, and Tioga will all be in action at the Owego Cross Country Invitational.
• Waverly hosts the swimming portion of its Waverly Swimming & Diving Invitational.
• The Waverly girls host Valley rival Athens on the soccer pitch, under the lights at Memorial Stadium.
• The Sayre boys host Williamson in the morning on the soccer pitch at the Lockhart Street Bowl
Print Friendly Version