Valley Sports Report
CHEMUNG — Defending track champ Zack Curren started the 2020 season off where he left off last year, winning the Insinger Sunoco B Modified feature, while Nick Robinson won the New York Super Stock feature, and D.J. Shaw took the checkered flag in the 4-Cylinder feature here Friday night at the Chemung Speedrome.
Mark Taylor and Chase Sinsabaugh also earned feature wins on on opening night.
Curren, who also won one of the two B Mod heats, started on the outside of the front row, with veteran Tony Hanbury on the inside pole. Curren quickly took the lead, and led for the entire 30-lap feature, which was slowed by four caution flags.
Hanbury finished second, while Charlie Sharpsteen, Gene Sharpsteen, who also won a heat, and Gene Potrzebowski finished third through fifth, respectively.
Robinson took the lead shortly after the first caution, 21 laps into the New York Super Stock feature, and was named the winner after the track’s lights went out with 23 laps on the scoreboard.
Jacob Gustafson led an entertaining race for the first 21 laps, but after the re-start he spun out, and Robinson took the lead at the yellow flag.
Before the race could be resumed, the track’s generator malfunctioned. Already well over curfew, track officials chose to end the race.
Robinson was followed in the final standings by Jimmy Steffenhagen, Tim Gullo, Andy Cryan, and Dylan Bancroft in second through fifth, respectively.
Steffenhagen, Cryan, Gullo, Cameron Nichols and Garrett Zacharias won the five Super Stock heats, and Mike Hyman won the B-main.
Shaw, who was the points leader in the 4-Cylinder class last year before stepping away to play football at Waverly High School, took the lead on Lap 5 and led the caution-filled 16-lap feature.
Rookie Ryan Hurlbut drew the pole, and led early with Shaw in close pursuit. After Shaw took the lead, the duo re-started on the front row each time the yellow flag slowed the action.
Originally scheduled as a 20-lap feature, the caution flag flew so often, the race was put on a 10-minute time limit. Once the time limit was reached, the two-to-go indication was given.
After the final re-start, Shaw held off Hurlbut for the win, with Ricky Lane, Nick Galosh, and Dante Mancuso finishing third through fifth, respectively.
Monica Green, Hurlbut, and Mancuso earned wins in the three 4-Cylinder heats.
The inaugural Hobby Stocks race, sponsored by Marion Decker Insurance, drew three cars and Mark Taylor won both the heat, and the 10-lap feature. Chuck Nichols was the runner-up.
Defending Bandit champion Chase Sinsabaugh took the lead midway through the 10-lap race to win the The Coaches Pizza INEX Bandoleros feature.
Newcomer Kalysha DeMark led early, but Sinsabaugh took the lead after the race’s only caution. DeMark earned the Outlaw win.
Devin Gullo and Derek Volger finished third and fourth, respectively.
This weekend’s action has been postponed until further notice due to complaints lodged against the track.
INSINGER SUNOCO B MODIFIEDS (30 Laps)
1. Zack Curren; 2. Tony Hanbury; 3. Charlie Sharpsteen; 4. Gene Sharpsteen; 5. TJ Potrzebowski; 6. Lee Sharpsteen; 7. Bryan Sherwood; 8. Andy Lewis; 9. Dave Kozlowski; 10. Travis Spalding; 11. Bill Chandler, Jr.; 12.Scott Wylie; 13. Daryl Lewis, Jr. (DQ).
Heat winners: G. Sharpsteen and Curren.
NEW YORK SUPER STOCKS (23 Laps)
1. Nick Robinson; 2. Jimmy Steffenhagen; 3. Tim Gullo; 4. Andy Cryan; 5. Dylan Bancroft; 6. Cameron Nichols; 7. Evan Rygielski; 8. Robert Fink; 9. Nate Peckham; 10. Frank Chapman; 11.Josh Hunter; 12. Anthony Gullo; 13. Jason Duke; 14. Charlie Sharpsteen; 15. Trevor Catalano; 16. Barrett Schenk; 17. Brian Hallett; 18. Jacob Gustafson; 19. Garrett Zacharias; 20. Mark Spencer; 21. Nik Welshans; 22. Cole Hicks; 23. Derrick Tarbox; 24. Mike Hyman; 25. Bob Palmer; 26. Amber VanOrden.
Heat winners: Steffenhagen, Cryan, T. Gullo, Nichols, and Zacharias.
B Main winner: Hyman.
4-CYLINDERS (16 Laps)
1. D.J. Shaw; 2. Ryan Hurlbut; 3. Ricky Lane; 4. Nick Galusha; 5. Dante Mancuso; 6. Greg Moldt; 7. John Byrd; 8. Madelyn Virts; 9. Russ Bulger; 10. Megan Schoelles; 11. Russ Bulger, Jr.; 12. Jason Peck; 13. Mason Offhaus; 14. Joey Bevacqua; 15. Monica Green; 16. Tyler Harbst; 17. Bryce Bailey; 18. Nick Bevacqua; 19. Dustin Pryne (DNS).
Heat winners: Green, Hurlbut, and Mancuso.
Marion Decker Insurance Hobby Stocks (10 Laps)
1. Mark Taylor; 2. Chuck Nichols; 3. Car #17.
Heat winner: Taylor.
COACHES PIZZA INEX BANDOLEROS (10 Laps)
1. Chase Sinsabaugh (Bandit), 2. Kalysha DeMark (Outlaw); 3. Devin Gullo; 4. Derrick Vogler.
Print Friendly Version