THE WEEK AHEAD: POSTSEASON KICKS INTO HIGH GEAR
(2020-10-25)Valley Sports Report
THE VALLEY — The final three regular-season volleyball matches, as well as the first postseason one, are on the docket this week, but the big news is the start of the fall postseason.
Sayre plays a pair of volleyball matches this week as District 4 closes out its regular season, while Athens plays its final regular-season match Monday, then will play a postseason game (most likely Wednesday) against a District 2 team — the loser of the Berwick-Nanticoke match.
Athens and Shamokin are the only two Class AAA school in District 4, so they’ll compete in a sub-Regional bracket against District 2 teams.
Athens will also have five other teams in postseason mode this week, including three in District 4 playoff action on Saturday.
There are eight events — five postseason and three regular-season —on this week’s docket.
The following is the complete schedule for the week:MONDAY (2)
• Athens volleyball hosts Wyalusing in its final home game of the season.
• Sayre volleyball plays its final home match of the season, welcoming Towanda into the teepee.
• The Sayre boys travel to top-seeded Millville for an opening-round game in the District 4, Class A soccer playoffs.WEDNESDAY (0)
There are no games on the schedule.THURSDAY (2)
• The District 4 Cross Country Championships, with Sayre in Class A and Athens in Class AA, are at Warrior Run High School. The first race is at 9 a.m.
• The Sayre volleyball team travels to Cowanesque Valley for its final match of 2020.FRIDAY (0)
There are no games on the schedule.
• Athens football travels to Danville for a semi-final match-up in the District 4, Class AAA playoffs.
• The Athens girls host Mifflinburg in the semifinals of the District 4, Class AAA playoffs at 1 p.m.
• The Athens boys host Jersey Shore in the second game of the day at Alumni Stadium — also a District 4, Class AAA soccer playoff game. Start time is 4 p.m.
Print Friendly Version