THE WEEK AHEAD: FALL SEASON IN FULL-BLOWN POSTSEASON MODE
(2023-10-29)Valley Sports Report
THE VALLEY — The fall season is in full-blown postseason mode, with football playoffs on both sides of the border, the PIAA Cross-Country state meet, and Section IV girls swimming, volleyball, and cross-country highlighting the schedule.
The only two varsity events in the Valley this week have Tioga volleyball at home Tuesday, and Waverly football at home Friday.
There are nine events on this week’s docket, including three on Saturday, and two each on Tuesday and Friday. There’s a chance the schedule could expand by as many as four events if Tioga and / or Waverly volleyball wins Tuesday. With a top-two finish on Thursday, Waverly and / or Tioga would advance to their respective Section IV title match Saturday at Corning-Painted Post High School.
The following are all of the home varsity events this week, and a few of the notable road events:
• There are no varsity games scheduled.TUESDAY (2)
• Tioga hosts Newark Valley in the quarterfinals of the Section IV, Class C volleyball playoffs.
• Waverly travels to Lansing for the quarterfinals of the Section IV, Class B volleyball playoffs.WEDNESDAY (1)
• Waverly competes at the Section IV, Class B swim preliminaries at Maine-Endwell..THURSDAY (1)
• Waverly and Tioga will compete in the Section IV Cross-Country Championships at Chenango Valley State Park.
• If Waverly and / or Tioga win Tuesday, they will advance to semi-final pool play at Windsor and Trumansburg, respectively.
• Waverly hosts Susquehanna Valley in the semifinals of the Section IV, Class C football playoffs.
• Athens travels to Danville for a quarter-final game in the District 4, Class 3A football playoffs.
• Tioga takes on Walton in the semifinals of the Section IV, Class D football playoffs at Susquehanna Valley.
• Athens junior Sara Bronson and freshman Graham Wanck run in the PIAA, Class AA Cross-Country Championships in Hershey.
• Waverly competes at the Section IV, Class B swim championships at Maine-Endwell.
• If Waverly and / or Tioga advance out of pool play Thursday, they would play for Section IV titles.
Print Friendly Version